Call me American. Or French. Or Papa Smurf. (Oddly enough, I am at least 75 percent of the aforementioned: think jaunty cap and facial hair.)
There is nothing like good-ole’ fashioned red, white and blue. Red is my go to accent color, blue (especially royal) is super in this season, and white always gives of a touch of chic luxury. Though I rarely wear white due to chromophobia, I like to think that it is always there, beckoning me to wear it.
Mad Men’s Joan Holloway (Harris, I know) is great at rocking red, white and blue, especially in Season 1, Episode 10, “Long Weekend.” Joan is often dressed in a lot of jewel toned outfits, but this dress in particular salutes the Labor Day weekend of the episode in a big way.
Without further ado, I give you a style board of some great spring to summer options for this Joan-inspired, long weekend outfit. The pieces are perfect to pack in a small bag and reuse in different ways for a weekend getaway!
Clearly, the main inspiration is large graphic/geometric stripes/patterns in primary colors. These pieces are great for texture, and add some visual play to any wardrobe. Pieces like these are especially great for spring and summer when layering is not a desired option.
1. This dress is directly inspired by Joan’s in the episode. An adorable cap-sleeved shift that can easily be dressed down or up.
2. Nautical, stripey goodness in this boat neck top.
3. A gorgeous blue blouse appropriate for a yachting weekend.
4. Lightweight cotton shorts to add to the summer feel.
5. Lovely and light-weight-looking geometric blouse.
6. Full-fledged Americana feeling with this striped v-neck shirt.
7. Playful and multi-colored oversized shirt.
8. Textured, zig-zag bodycon skirt in red.
But the pièce de résistance of all of my searching is the SCARVES. It is what makes this particular capture of Joan so stunning, and puts the jaunt in my step, as I typically wear all black and only accessorize with a still relatively tame scarf.
And also this gorgeous scarf that won’t let me hotlink, darnit!
These scarves add an awesome bit of layering without overheating you in the summertime.
I hope you can create your own salute with some of these Joanie-inspired pieces.